Blueberry Health Benefits
Don’t let their miniature size fool you – blueberries are proof that, when it comes to health benefits, good things really do come in small packages. Especially in small, blue ones!
The health benefits of blueberries are even bigger than you might know. Here are just a few health benefits attributed to these little blue gems.
- Lower in fat and have just 80 calories per cup
- Loaded with fiber to keep you fuller longer
- Excellent source of manganese, which supports bone development and converting carbohydrates to energy
- Improves brain health
- Fights urinary tract infections
- Provides 25% of daily Vitamin C requirements in one serving
- Improves heart health and reduces cancer risk
Scientific studies show that blueberries contain a category of phytonutrients called polyphenols. This group includes anthocyanins which give blueberries their blue color. Research suggests that polyphenols have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that can play an important role in helping to lessen the inflammatory process associated with chronic conditions like cardiovascular disease, cancer, and age-related cognitive decline.
Resources to learn more: