Celebrating National Blueberry Month in July
Find ways to celebrate National Blueberry Month this July!
July is National Blueberry Month, and it’s the perfect time to focus on everyone’s favorite berry: the blueberry! Blueberry season is over in Florida by the time July rolls around, but blueberries are a tasty treat all year-round, so it’s the perfect time to celebrate with blueberries. See suggestions from the North American Blueberry Council (NABC) and the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council (USHBC) to celebrate National Blueberry Month.
National Blueberry Month Proclamation
In July 2003, the USDA proclaimed July as National Blueberry Month, after much effort by the NABC. The Secretary of Agriculture issued a formal proclamation, citing the healthfulness, popularity, and importance of the blueberry. The blueberry has been celebrated in July ever since.
Celebrating National Blueberry Month
There are many different options for celebrating blueberries in the month of July. Whether you want to use fresh blueberries, frozen blueberries, or blueberries already utilized, such as blueberry jam or blueberry wine, you can’t go wrong with the berry the industry calls “the little blue dynamo.” Find some options, with links from the blueberry experts at Blueberries from Florida or the USHBC, for celebrating below.
- Go the traditional route and bake a blueberry pie or blueberry muffins.
- Give strawberries a run for their money and make a delicious blueberry shortcake.
- Make dessert waffles with blueberry sauce.
- Have a breakfast or brunch around blueberries: blueberry pancakes, blueberry-stuffed French toast, or blueberry breakfast bake.
- Make some adult beverages featuring blueberries; find classic cocktails with a twist of blueberries here. Make a handful and throw a blueberry cocktails party.
- Try your hand at grilling with blueberries as part of the recipe, like grilled chicken and blueberry relish or grilled salmon flatbread with blueberry salsa, and hold a barbecue cook-out for your family and friends.
- Say “Yes, please!” and make blueberry pizza.
- Make a blueberry salad.
The Internet is jam-packed with resources to utilize at your blueberry party, barbecue or other celebration. Find inspiration from the Blueberries from Florida Pinterest recipe boards and the recipe pages from the Blueberries from Florida website recipes.