Try These Cool Blueberry Recipes to Beat the Summer Heat
Try these cool blueberry recipes to add some chill time when your summer heats up.
Summer is heating up, so it’s the perfect time for cool blueberry recipes that will help you beat the summer heat. Why have boring old ice cream from the store when you can make your own from flavorful blueberries? Grab your family and friends and make a sweet treat that’s cool and healthful, thanks to everyone’s favorite berry, the blueberry!
Cool Blueberry Recipes
Try one of these cool blueberry recipes for an activity that everyone will enjoy…both making it and eating it!
Blueberry Ice Cream
Homemade ice cream is one of the good things in life, and adding fresh blueberries to the mix makes this summer sweet treat really special. Recipe and photo from BakedbyReachel.com.
- 2 cup Blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 3 Egg yolks
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 cup Granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 cup Heavy cream
- 1 cup Whole milk
- Serves 4-6
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar, blueberries and lemon juice in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Bring to a boil and mash berries. Puree blueberry mixture, then strain through a fine mesh strainer. Set aside.
- Add 1 cup heavy cream and vanilla to a medium bowl with a mesh strainer set on top.
- Combine milk, remaining heavy cream, sugar and salt to a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar.
- Whisk egg yolks in a small bowl.
- When milk mixture begins to steam, slowly drizzle 1 cup warm liquid into the yolks, while continuously whisking. Pour egg mixture into sacuepan, followed by blueberry puree. Stir to combine. Continue cooking until mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
- Pour through mesh strainer into reserved heavy cream. Stir and cool over an ice bath to room temperature. Cover and chill thoroughly, 4-6 hours or overnight.
- Churn according to manufacturer's directions.
- Transfer churned ice cream to a freezer safe container. Cover and freeze until solid.
Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
Here’s another ice cream recipe, but it’s more involved and has more complex flavors involved. Try this recipe when you have a craving for something truly decadent this summer. You will need an ice cream maker for this dish. Recipe and photo from CreationsbyKara.com.
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 4 squares graham crackers (2 full crackers), broken into pieces.
- Boil blueberries and sugar in a small saucepan till berries burst and the mixture has thickened. (7-8 minutes) Cool completely and chill.
- Beat cream cheese and sugar till smooth. Beat in the cream, milk, vanilla, lemon juice, and zest. Chill for several hours or till cold. Freeze ice cream in an ice cream maker.
- Set aside 1/2 cup of the blueberry sauce. Layer the ice cream base, the remaining blueberry sauce, and the graham cracker pieces in a freezer container. Cover and freeze for 2-3 hours or till hardened. Serve with reserved blueberry sauce if desired.
Blueberry Coconut Popsicles
If you’re looking for a lighter option, these popsicles are a sure bet. The combination of coconut and blueberries is sure to please. Recipe and photo from WallflowerKitchen.co.uk.
- 1½ cups coconut milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Mix the coconut milk, maple syrup and vanilla in a blender until smooth.
- Add the blueberries and pulse until they've' been "smashed" but not completely blended.
- Pour the mixture into popsicle molds and freeze for at least 5 hours or overnight.
Blueberry Cocoa Smoothie
Combine tangy blueberries and rich cocoa with this recipe originally from Tropical Smoothie Cafe. Recipe and photo from the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council.
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup ice
- 2 tablespoons honey
Blend all ingredients together and pour in a cup to enjoy!
Number of servings (yield): 1 smoothie