Start Your Morning Right With a Blueberry Smoothie
Find three mouth-watering blueberry smoothie recipes to enjoy in the morning or any time of day.
A smoothie is a delicious way to get some fruits and vegetables in your diet, and a blueberry smoothie is an even better, tastier way to fit in the awesome vitamins and nutrients and other health benefits of blueberries. They are cool and light, perfect for a summer day. Find three blueberry smoothie recipes below that will tickle your taste buds at any time of day.
Blueberry Smoothie Recipes
You will need a blender or food processor of some kind to make these blueberry smoothies. A smoothie can work equally well as a dessert, as a snack, or as a meal replacement, depending on the recipe. Using whole fruits and vegetables in a smoothie can make it super health, but added sugar will decrease a smoothie’s health value.
This smoothie blends the benefits of blueberries with bananas, fresh basil, and more.
- 2 frozen bananas
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- a small handful of fresh basil leaves (about 10 leaves)
- 2 tablespoons nut or seed butter (we used sunflower butter, but almond, peanut, cashew etc. would work as well)
- 1 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 + cups unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- Place all ingredients into a high-speed blender and process until smooth. Add more liquid as necessary.
Number of servings (yield): 2 smoothies
This smoothie offers the benefits of green tea in addition to blueberries.
- 2 teaspoons matcha powder
- handful blueberries
- 1 banana
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon chlorella or spirulina powder (or both!)
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup almond or soy milk
- Blend all ingredients together in blender until desired consistency
- If you find the smoothie to be chalky, simply add more milk or water
Number of servings (yield): 1 smoothie
This smoothie gets a little help from cocoa powder.
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup milk (of your choice)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 dash ground cinnamon
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (or agave)
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth. If desired, strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a glass for a smoother texture.
- Garnish with a few whole blueberries, and serve immediately.
All recipes and photos courtesy of the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Growers Council.