Things That Make You Go Mmmm: Blueberry Pizza
If you’re looking for a recipe that is beyond delicious, try blueberry pizza!
Blueberries are delicious no matter the dish, but blueberry pizza really ups the ante. Blueberry pizza combines all the best flavors: tart blueberries, savory cheese, and additional tasty toppings. If you’re looking for an appetizer or even an entrée, try one of these blueberry pizza recipes.
Blueberry Recipes That are Beyond Delicious
Blueberry pizzas can be as simple or as complex as you’d like. That’s the beauty of both blueberries and pizza: they both go with everything! Try these recipes as-is, and then add your own favorite toppings: bacon, sausage, basil, mushrooms, and peaches, just to name a few.
This tasty recipe combines blueberries, mozzarella and gorgonzola cheeses, diced pancetta, and onions. Recipe and photo courtesy of the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council.
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1-1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 4 ounces diced pancetta (can also use bacon or ham if pancetta is not available), cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Lightly flour a work surface.
- Pat and stretch dough into a 10 x 14-inch oval; place on a large baking sheet.
- With a fork, pierce dough in several places.
- Leaving a 1-inch border, sprinkle dough with half the mozzarella, the gorgonzola, pancetta and red onion.
- Bake until crust is golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Sprinkle blueberries and remaining mozzarella over pizza; bake until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown, about 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven; top with basil and pepper.
This blueberry pizza is super-simple with the use of Naan bread as the crust, and the honey-caramelized onions offer a sweetness to further tantalize your taste buds. Recipe and photo courtesy of KitchenConfidante.com.
- 2 naan flatbreads (see notes below)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- kosher salt
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1 cup blueberries
- micro arugula (or regular baby arugula)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the naan/flatbread on the baking sheet and lightly spray or brush with water. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pan over medium low heat.
- Add the onion and season with a pinch of salt to taste and red pepper flakes.
- Cook the onions until it is wilted, about 3-5 minutes and stir in the honey, letting the onions caramelize. Remove from heat.
- While the onions cook, stir the ricotta and feta cheese in a small bowl. Spread the ricotta mixture over the naan/flatbread, and top with the honey caramelized onions.
- Sprinkle the blueberries on top.
- Place the naan pizzas into the oven and bake for about 10 minutes, or until the blueberries are just about ready to burst, the cheese has softened, and the naan is toasted.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with arugula and enjoy immediately.
Blueberry pizza can also make a wonderful dessert! Recipe and photo courtesy of SpoonForkBacon.com.
1 12” ready-made pizza crust. **You can definitely make your own pizza dough for this recipe. The ready-made
crust is to turn a 2 1/2 hour process into a 20 minute one!
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/3 cup blueberry
- 1 cup grated part-skim mozzarella
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. Place cream cheese and cinnamon in a small bowl and stir together until well combined.
3. Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the surface of the crust.
4. Next, spread the blueberry jam over the cream cheese mixture.
5. Sprinkle the mozzarella over the jam, followed by the fresh blueberries.
6. Place the pizza directly onto the oven rack and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese melts and bubbles and the blueberries just begin to juice.
7. Allow to cool for a few minutes, cut and serve.
Find more great recipes for blueberries on the recipe pages of BlueberriesFromFlorida.com or the Blueberries from Florida Pinterest recipe boards. Try one of the blueberry recipes and then share it with us on our Facebook page!