Holiday Blueberry Drinks to Warm You Down to Your Toes
This trio of holiday blueberry drinks will bring some holiday cheer even to the biggest of Grinches!
The holidays are the perfect time to enjoy decadent foods and fun drinks. Try one of these holiday blueberry drinks for a holiday party, for small get-togethers or even while wrapping gifts or making cookies. Recipes and photos are courtesy of the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council; the recipes are part of their ‘Sipping Through the Holidays with Blueberries’ campaign. Make ‘mocktails’ by deleting alcohol from a recipe.
Recipes of Holiday Blueberry Drinks
Mulled wine has all of the flavors of the season, making it a classic holiday drink. Add in the tart sweetness of blueberries, and you’ve got the perfect recipe for your holidays.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 10 whole cloves
- 2 large cinnamon sticks
- 1 bottle (750 mL) dry red wine
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine blueberries and sugar. Cook until lightly simmering, about 5 minutes.
- Puree blueberry mixture until smooth, then add in cloves and cinnamon. Continue lightly simmering for 20 minutes.
- Pour wine into the pot and reduce heat to a very slow simmer (don’t boil), at least until wine is warm (you can let it sit on low heat anywhere from 15 minutes to 3 hours).
- Strain before serving. Serve warm optionally garnished with a slice of orange and a cinnamon stick.
Number of servings (yield): 4 Cups
Cider and blueberry make a dream team of flavors for your holiday blueberry drinks. Try this one when you need a warm-up!
- 1/2 gallon apple cider
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup brandy (optional)
- In a saucepot, combine apple cider, blueberries and cinnamon sticks.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until fragrant. Stir in brandy (optional).
- Serve hot or cold and garnish with more blueberries.
Number of servings (yield): 8 Cocktails
Here’s another drink if you need a warm up! Fresh lemon, ground ginger and blueberries make for a tart and savory beverage.
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries, plus more for garnish
- 2 lemon wedges, plus 2 more for garnish
- 2 ounces bourbon (optional)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- In the bottom of a teapot or heatproof pitcher, muddle blueberries, ginger and lemon wedges.
- Pour ½ cup boiling water over top and let steep for 5 minutes.
- Measure one ounce of bourbon (optional) and one tablespoon of honey into two glasses.
- Add strained blueberry mixture and divide between the glasses.
- Stir until honey is dissolved and garnish with a few blueberries and a lemon wedge. Serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 2 Cocktails
Find more holiday blueberry drinks to warm your holiday season on the Blueberries from Florida recipes page.