Try these Recipes to Use Up Those Fresh Blueberries
Have fresh blueberries to spare? Try these blueberry recipes to use them up!
It’s blueberry season across the nation, and even though Florida’s blueberry season is finished, we know you can’t resist the tart and tangy sweetness of blueberries. If you have a lot of fresh blueberries, try one or all of these recipes to let those little blue dynamos shine!
Recipes for Fresh Blueberries
There’s nothing like the flavor of fresh blueberries, and these recipes play on that by highlighting the best characteristics of blueberries by leaving them fresh and in-the-raw!
Blueberries and pineapple meet up with jalapeno peppers, lime, red onion, and cilantro to make a thrilling and flavorful dish.
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup finely diced fresh pineapple
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and membrane removed, minced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- Kosher salt, as needed
- Combine blueberries, pineapple, jalapeño, 2 tablespoons of the lime juice, lime zest, cilantro and red onion.
- Season with salt and additional lime juice as needed.
- Serve with tortilla chips or as an accompaniment to fish or chicken.
Number of servings (yield): 6 Servings
Fresh, raw blueberries give these chicken salad wraps a special kick that makes lunch a joy.
- 3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ¼ cup finely chopped celery
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- ¾ cup fresh blueberries
- 6 large lettuce leaves
- 6 (6-inch diameter) whole-wheat tortillas
- Optional: 1/2 – 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, celery and salt
- Gently stir in chicken and blueberries
- To warm tortillas: on a microwave-safe plate, place a damp paper towel
- Top it with a tortilla
- Repeat to make a stack of paper towels and tortillas, topped with a damp paper towel
- Microwave on high until hot, 30 to 60 seconds
- Place warm tortillas on a counter
- Top each tortilla with a lettuce leaf
- Add in optional chopped walnuts
- Scoop about ½ cup chicken-blueberry salad on each lettuce leaf
- Roll each tortilla into a cylinder
- Cut each in half
- Secure with toothpicks, if desired
- Serve immediately or wrap tightly in foil and refrigerate
Fresh fruit and blueberries make this Blueberry Dessert Pizza the perfect sweet treat!
- 1 (10-inch) flour tortilla
- ½ teaspoon butter, softened
- 3 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup whipped cream cheese
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- ½ cup mixed fruit (such as grape halves and mandarin oranges)
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Place tortilla on an ungreased baking sheet
- Spread with butter
- In a cup, combine 1 teaspoon of the sugar and the cinnamon
- Sprinkle evenly over the tortilla
- Bake tortilla until edges just begin to brown, 3 to 4 minutes
- Remove to a serving plate
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 teaspoons sugar with the cream cheese
- Spread evenly over the crisp tortilla
- Arrange blueberries and other fruit on top
- Cut in 4 wedges and serve immediately
All recipes and photos courtesy of the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Growers Council.
Find more scrumptious recipes featuring blueberries in all forms on the BlueberriesFromFlorida.com recipes pages or the Blueberries from Florida Pinterest recipe boards!