Cooking Tips for Your Frozen Blueberries
Did your u-pick travels leave you with a freezer full of yummy blueberries? Try some of these cooking tips and ideas for your frozen blueberries.
There are many blueberry farms in the Central Florida and the surrounding area that offer a u-pick during harvest time, allowing you to come and pick your own blueberries, which usually begins in March and extends to May, depending on the weather. If you and your family are blueberry lovers it is senseless not to take advantage of the yearly u-pick season because of the great prices they offer. How awesome, right? Were you one of those u-pickers that could not stop coming back for more berries this previous harvest season? If you were, let’s go out on a limb and say you still have a ton of frozen blueberries, right?
Some tips from the US Highbush Blueberry Council for cooking with frozen blueberries:
— Being a blueberry lover you know these berries are one of the easiest ingredients to work with, especially if they are frozen.
— Having frozen blueberries saves time in the kitchen
— Frozen blueberries give the perfect twist with your morning yogurt, oatmeal, smoothies, and more! (For immediate use)
— When baking it is helpful to know whether the berry is frozen or fresh, they will sink to the bottom of the batter that is not thick enough to support their weight, or if too much air has been whipped into the batter.
- — A way to solve this problem is to decrease blending time when you are mixing all of the ingredients together and by pitching the berries in flour or something similar to keep them balanced.
- — Only layering half of the batter, then half blueberries, then again the remaining half of the batter, and finishing the top with the leftover blueberries.
- — If the berries are frozen they are less likely to burst during cook time like fresh berries have a tendency to do.
- — You can always replace fresh with frozen.
- — Frozen berries work great with many kinds of breakfast foods, such as waffles, pancakes, cereal, smoothies, and more!
- — They come in handy when preparing dressings, sauces, glazes, or toppings.
- These delicious recipes can be tossed in salads, roasts, or even incorporated into pizzas:
No matter what you are making, frozen blueberries can help enhance and excite any meal of the day, so make sure to keep a supply in your freezer at all times!